What's Wrong with Education?
- South Africa has one of the highest rates of government investment in education in the world.
- The education department received 17,8% of the 2006/07 national budget of R92,1 billion.
- The 2005 matriculation pass rate was 68,3%, down from 70,7% in 2004.
- Only 17% of the 2005 matriculants qualified for tertiary education.
- NSFAS has assisted more than 400 000 students with the financial aid provided amounting to R5 billion.
- 42% of South Africans are unemployed
- 5.8m South African youths between the ages of 15 and 35 are unemployed
- 15% of South Africans go on to tertiary education vs. 80% in the United States
- 80% of schools in South Africa are inadequately preparing students for the economy.